Wednesday, June 18, 2008

On birds, of a sort

A crow smashed into the living room window yesterday morning. Sitting on the couch, talking on the phone with Corina, I was watching the crow, as they usually swoop uo to land on the roof. This one just slammed belly first into the glash, amking the whole window shake, and shocking me. I screamed, the crow seemed to fall, but must’ve flown away because by the time I got to the window and looked down it was gone.

It reminded me of all of the crow images in Adriana’s “Prometheus” play. I really liked those crows. Adriana, maybe you should create a piece about crows, well not just about crows, but drawn from and tying in and out of crow imagery. Yes, I know you were in a play with raven imagery, and maybe you’re done with crows because you associate them with “Prometheus”. But that was some awesome crow work, and I hate to see it closed in a file on your computer or pressed between pages in a notebook.

In some animal lore, crows are shape shifters, and are both in knowable reality and the supernatural world. A strange balance, outside of time. In other, they are just dirty scavengers.

I remember there being a lot of crows around when I was a kind, 5-7 or so, and then they disappeared for about five years. I also remember that absence, and noticed when they returned.

1 comment:

Adriana Bucz said...

I loved those crows too. Yes, I should pull them out and make a crow piece someday.