Friday, June 27, 2008

Little morning songs Two

Today's song ( i cheated a bit-I wrote it between 12:00 and 2:00, but took time away to write up yesterday's song on here, to make more tea, hang out with the cat. So it's still simple and quick, given to as little judgment as possible, very unedited).

I do have a very specific inspiration behind this mini project- Terami Hirsch's description of working on her latest album, " A Broke Machine"- http://www.thebreathing.com/words/abrokemachine-album.html
She uses the words "quickly and quietly", and spoke about the spectre of perfection and judgment.
Musically, a song from her previous album, "Memory Picture" inspired me when I saw the written out notes for the song, how simple, and the gorgeousness of such a simple song, which is quickly becoming one of my favorites of hers:
http://www.thebreathing.com/words/memorypicture.html

Actually, Terami Hirsch is probably my biggest musical/creative inspiration, as an independent artist making her own music her way. From her very lo-fi, home made sounding "All Girl Band" to, four album later, the still home made but intense and kind of crazy A Broke Machine", all of her work is extraordinary and well worth exploring.

http://www.terami.com/

Today's song:

(obvious waltz tempo)

C-Dm-Em-F

I turn on the stove
three quarters round the dial
fill the pot with cold cold water
and stare out the window for awhile

The cat's in the sunshine again
chewing on the leaves of her favorite plant
and I really really want a cup of coffee
but I'll settle for tea

I let my mind lean on perfection
but I'll never get there
and that leaves me near broken

G-Am
F-G-Am (C)

So I drink drink my tea
waiting for the phone to ring
alone in this house
the mail is never for m

C-Dm-Em-F

Leaves are spinning from the trees
and I don't know where the woods went
cut down a century ago
what has each trunk become

G-Am
F-G-Am (C)

A house, a table
a well worn bed
sheets unmade each morning
threadbare and slightly stained

C-Dm-Em-F

Three cups of green tea later
one cup of hot chocolate snuck in too
the cat is sitting in the closet
and Shakespeare by the door
is lifting his book to me

G-Am
F-G-Am (C)

But i don't read his words anymore
my eyes just drift from the page
prone to distraction
So I do what i do best

Drink drink my tea
waiting fo the phone to ring
alone in this house
the mail is never for me

1 comment:

Adriana Bucz said...

I love this song. It's so beautiful to read something that was written in my house while I wasn't there, and to see the way in which you see the things that I have begun to gloss over.